Let's Win Your Case - Call 24/7:
driver holding a flask of alcohol

Should I Approach a Drunk Driver After a Crash?

Crashes are daunting situations. You have to protect yourself, but you also need to make sure you gather information from the other driver you believe is responsible for the crash. One thing to keep in mind is the possibility that the other driver was intoxicated when they caused the accident.

Before you move forward, look for signs of intoxication, including slurred speech, alcohol odor, and coordination issues. Here are some tips to remember when dealing with a drunk driver after a crash.

Call 911 Immediately

You want law enforcement on the scene for multiple reasons. An officer can help assess the situation and determine if the driver is intoxicated. If they believe the driver is drunk, they will perform a breathalyzer or field sobriety tests.

An officer can also create an accident report that contains valuable information you can use for your case. If the driver is intoxicated and you can’t gather their contact or insurance information, a law enforcement officer and their report can help.

Limit Your Conversations

Avoid speaking in detail with the intoxicated driver. Be sure to never discuss fault or accuse the other driver of being intoxicated. It’s a quick way to heighten aggression, and the other driver may become defensive regarding their involvement in the crash.

Document Information Quickly

Someone who is driving while intoxicated may try to flee the scene. As shocking as an accident can be, it helps if you can document the license plate number to protect yourself after a crash. Having the license plate number may be enough to help you start the process to hold negligence accountable.

Our car accident lawyers at Lowe Law Group have spent years safeguarding the rights of clients who need justice after a crash. We work hard to obtain maximum compensation when our clients need us most. If you suffer an injury in a drunk driving crash, we’ll be there for you every step of the way.

Call our firm at (801) 900-4681 today.