Salt Lake City Car Accident Attorneys
Utah Auto Accident Lawyers Who Advocate on Your Behalf
Accidents can happen anywhere, anytime. Their unpredictability, coupled with the fact that they are preventable in a number of cases, makes them one of the most devastating experiences for anyone to endure. Unfortunately, auto accidents often result in painful and potentially life-changing injuries. It is for this exact reason you need to rely on the services our car accident lawyers in Salt Lake City, Utah to fight for you.
Car accidents can occur as a result of the following and more:
- Distracted driving, such as texting or talking on the phone while driving
- Drunk driving
- Defective vehicle manufacturing
- Poor road conditions
- Driver fatigue
- Reckless driving, such as running red lights or stop signs
If you are the victim of any of the above, we can relentlessly pursue the justice you deserve. Sadly, victims of car accidents are often left to deal with insurance companies who make it difficult for you to obtain the compensation you deserve, as they are unwilling or resistant to accommodate your needs. Whether you are financially suffering due to expensive medical bills, loss of work and wages, the wrongful death of a loved one, or emotional distress, we can and will help to the best of our ability until your injury case is resolved.
What to Expect During Your Car Accident Case in Utah
Building an effective personal injury claim is a complex process that will require a powerful law firm to fight for you. There are certain actions that can endanger your entire accident claim, however, which is why you should know what steps to take for an effective case. You should also know what potential legal issues you may encounter as you start to file your car accident injury claim:
- Disputed Liability - It is quite common that the insurance company will try to push back on the claim that you file and refuse liability for the accident. Our legal team can help build a powerful case and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Medical Bills - Organizing and understanding your medical bills associated with the accident can be complex. Our team can help assess what damages you are owed and who to pursue compensation against.
- Property Damage Claims - One of the largest setbacks could be the complications associated with getting compensation for their vehicle damage. If your vehicle was totaled, this can cause an even greater complication for you. Not only will getting to work and around town be difficult, Our legal team will do everything we can to help you get back on your feet.
Utah's No-Fault Insurance System
Utah is one of several states that has a "no-fault" insurance system for auto accident cases. If two parties are involved in an accident, one party will be at fault. In a no-fault state, however, each individual insurance company will compensate the policyholder for the injuries they suffered, regardless of who was at fault for the accident.
This type of insurance policy does still provide the opportunity for the victim party to file a claim. Individuals can sue for non-economic damages, but there may be limits and constraints in place. For example, that individual would need to file a claim with their own insurance company before they can file with the at-fault person's company.
The injuries that qualify under the "injury threshold" in Utah include:
- Permanent disabilities/impairment
- Permanent disfigurement
- Medical expenses that exceed $3,000
If your injuries qualify under one of the above thresholds, you are not simply limited to a no-fault claim under your insurance company. You will be allowed to file against the liable driver to also hold them responsible for the incident through a personal injury lawsuit or third-party claim.
It is for this reason that you should work with a knowledgeable attorney to build your case and pursue the compensation you deserve.
State Laws: Responsibilities of Drivers
In Utah, drivers are held to certain requirements in order to keep everyone safe. Requirements are listed in the Utah Driver Handbook, which can be found here. There are several guidelines outlined in the handbook, such as remaining at least two seconds following distance from the vehicle in front of you on the freeway. It also provides rules on how to pass a vehicle as well as when you should never pass.
In many cases, irreverence to the rules can result in a tragic collision. If you are a victim of a driver who disregarded a rule, contact our team at once.
Are You an Injured Passenger?
In most circumstances, the driver involved in an accident is the one pursuing compensation against another driver. When it is a passenger, however, there may be additional issues and challenges presented.
Whether the crash was the fault of the driver whose car the passenger was in, or the other vehicle, you will need to take action to pursue just compensation. Our legal team has successfully navigated through similar situations in the past and has a solid handle on assisting all members of a motor vehicle accident. We can conduct a comprehensive investigation aimed at determining the liable party and then building a case to achieve restitution from the damages suffered.
When Should I Contact an Attorney?
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, being clear on the timeline is important to get the best results out of your case. It is recommended that you contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible after an accident. Having an attorney guide you throughout the entirety of your case is essential to avoid incriminating yourself. A lawyer can also walk you through the proper order and steps to follow after an accident.
Do not speak with the insurance company prior to speaking with an attorney. The insurance company is not there to protect your best interests and will try to take what you say and use it against you to decrease your payout.
Additionally, there is a statute of limitations for personal injury cases. If you do not hire an attorney within a reasonable amount of time, you may lose the opportunity to file a claim at all. Once you get in touch with our law firm, we can provide you with the information you need to begin pursuing a claim for compensation.
Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents in Utah
There is a window of time in which a victim is permitted to take legal action if they have suffered injury in a car accident. This is called the “statute of limitations” and will be different in each state. In Utah, the car accident victim has four years from the time that the crash occurred to file their claim. If an attempt is made to file beyond this period, the court will reject it outright. There are a very limited number of situations for which an extension can be obtained. Reach out to our firm as soon as possible if you wish to file a claim for compensation after a car accident in Salt Lake City, Utah.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Salt Lake City
Your actions in the immediate aftermath of a collision can have a profound impact on any subsequent insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit you may pursue. While you may be shaken up, it is critical you stay calm and and take certain steps to guard your interests.
- Get to safety as soon as you can, then call 911 if you or anyone else is seriously injured.
- Call the police. The responding officer will get control of the scene and create an accident report. Request a copy of this report and get the names of any officers who arrive at the scene.
- Never accept blame or liability. Stick to the facts when talking with the police.
- When asked if you are hurt, say "I'm unsure" instead of "I'm fine." There is a chance you may have suffered injuries but are numb to the symptoms due to your body's adrenaline response.
- Exchange contact and identification information with all involved drivers, including names, license plate numbers, insurance policy numbers, vehicle make, models, and years, the location of the crash, and phone numbers. If there are any eyewitnesses at the site, get their contact information as well.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident before the vehicles are moved. This should include any traffic signals, damage to all vehicles involved, and any injuries suffered.
- If you were not rushed to the hospital, as soon as you are cleared to leave the scene, seek medical help. Tell your doctor you were involved in a crash and follow their treatment instructions closely. Keep records of your treatment and track any expenses you incur.
- Keep a journal of how your injuries impact your daily life during your recovery. Be sure to note any days you have missed from school or work, as well as any feelings of pain you experience.
- Inform your insurance company that you were involved in a crash. Tell them the basic details and give them enough information to open up a claim, but do not make any admissions of fault or authorize any written or recorded statements.
- Consult with an attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer will advise you on the best course of action moving forward.
Contact A Salt Lake City Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been injured in a car crash caused by another’s negligence, now is the time to enlist the legal guidance and representation you deserve.
Why Choose Lowe Law Group?
- Our legal team has a track record of success and has recovered millions of dollars
- We promise to provide you personalized attention and tailor solutions
- We are in regular communication in order to ensure that you are always in the loop
- Our firm offers free, no-obligation consultations
At Lowe Law Group, we are comprised of Salt Lake City, Utah car accident attorneys who understand just how difficult it is to move on following an accident, which is why we want to do everything possible to successfully advocate on your behalf. Don’t face this difficult time without us on your side. Contact our law firm for the guidance you need.
Watch the video below to hear our attorneys explain why it is so important to hire an attorney after a car accident:
A Sense of Understanding
We will step into your shoes to better understand your goals and effectively fight for the justice that you deserve in your case.
A Client-First Philosophy
Our team is prepared to do whatever is necessary to ensure your comfort and convenience, from traveling to you to arranging your medical care.
A Personalized Experience
Our attorneys refuse to treat you like another number and are committed to being directly involved in your case every step of the way.
A Results-Driven Approach
We have recovered millions of dollars for injury victims in the past and are committed to winning your case next.
A Network of Support
When you hire our firm, you not only get the support of one attorney but a large team guiding you through the legal process.
A Compassionate Team
Our attorneys are truly empathetic advocates whom you can count on to be in your corner when you need them most.